Remember, like any floor covering, real wood floors will show signs of wear over time, depending on the size and lifestyle of your family. By observing a few precautions and setting up a regular cleaning routine and maintenance program, you can expect years of beauty from your floor.. The following are examples of the reasonable and necessary maintenance you are expected to perform. They are not intended to be an exclusive list.
- Sweep or vacuum regularly since built-up grit can damage the surface of the wood. The vacuum head must be a brush or felt type. Be certain the wheels of the vacuum are clean and do not damage the finish. DO NOT USE A VACUUM WITH A BEATER BAR HEAD.
- Remove spills promptly using a soft cloth and recommended cleaning products.
- NEVER wet-mop, damp-mop, or flood your floor with water or ot her products. This can severely damage the flooring and will void the warranties. The use of Dry Swiffer? by Proctor & Gamble, or other similar product, is highly recommended. Do not use hardwood floor cleaning machines.
- The use of approved maintenance and floor-care products, including but not limited to Bona Formula Hardwood Flooring Cleaner and Basic Coating Squeaky Hardwood Floor Cleaner, is highly recommended.
- IMPORTANT: Do not use oil soaps, liquid or paste wax products or other household cleaners that contain lemon oil, tung oil, silicon or ammonia since these warranties do not cover damage caused by non-recommended products. Use of these and other such products will harm the long-term performance of your floor and may also affect its recoat ability.
- Keep pets? nails trimmed, and paws clean and free of dirt, gravel, grease, oil, and stains.
- Place protective pads beneath furniture legs and feet to reduce scratches and dents.
- Use a dolly and protective sheets of plywood when moving heavy objects, furniture, or appliances.
- Make certain furniture casters are clean and operate properly (a minimum 1? width is recommended).
- Remove shoes with spiked or damaged heels before walking on floor.
- Exposure to the sun and its UV rays accelerates the oxidation and aging of wood and fabrics. This causes the stain and / or wood to fade and / or to change color. We recommend that you rearrange rugs and furniture periodically so the floor ages evenly. These warranties do not cover damage from the sun and its UV rays.
- Use area rugs in high traffic areas and pivot points (e.g., stair landings, room entries, etc.), especially if you have a large family or indoor pets. We highly recommend use of Bona-X Cleaner sets for all your hardwood flooring cleanings. Bona-X is approved for use with any hardwood flooring.